After graduating from the University of Adelaide, Lachie commenced his training at the Royal Adelaide Hospital before moving with his wife to Melbourne where he completed his haematology training. Lachie trained in the Haematology Units of the Royal Melbourne Hospital, the Austin Hospital and the Royal Children’s Hospital, giving him a wide experience and support in treating both malignant and non-malignant haematological disorders in adults and pregnancy. He obtained his dual fellowship from the Royal College of Pathologists of Australasia and the Royal Australasian College of Physicians in mid 2008.
Lachie works as a Clincial Haematologist at the Northern Hospital and the Criagieburn Health Service and is coordinator of the Clinical Haematology Service of Northern Health. He is dedicated to expanding the access of local patients and medical practitioners to high quality Haematology care and support in the Northern and Northeastern Outer Metropolitan Area.
Lachie also works as a sessional Laboratory Haematologist at Melbourne Pathology and performs bone marrow biopsies. He believes that working in both the complementary clinical and laboratory aspects of the field allows him to provide comprehensive management of a wide range of haematological conditions.
Lachie is pleased to see referrals on both maligannt and non-malignant blood disorders in adults and pregnant women, including:
- Advice on abnormal haematological investigations
- Refractory or unexplained anaemias or macrocytosis
- Neutropenia and/or Thrombocytopenia
- Polycythaemia, Leucocytosis and/or Thrombocytosis
- Elevated ferritin/haemochromatosis
- Venous thrombosis (DVT/PE) and anticoagulation therapy
- Thrombophilia advice/testing
- Abnormal bruising/bleeding investigation and management
- Antenatal and Obstetric Haematology
- Thalassaemia and Haemoglobinopathy counselling
- Anticoagulation & Thrombophilia advice/testing in pregnancy
- Thrombocytopenia in pregnancy
- Malignant blood disorders:
- Chronic Lymphocytic Leukaemia
- Lymphadenopathy and/or splenomegaly
- Chronic Myeloid Leukaemia
- Myeloproliferative disorders eg. ET, PRV, myelofibrosis
- Myeloma, MGUS and Amyloidosis