Research has consistently found that obesity has a negative impact on your health, life expectancy and can be detrimental to your quality of life (Medical Journal of Australia 2005). Weight loss surgery is recognised as the most effective method to lose a significant amount of weight and keep it off, and in turn reduce these negative impacts.
With regular follow-up, improved diet and exercise programs you may notice these benefits:
Your risk of premature death and obesity-related illness reduces dramatically.
- Obesity surgery reduces and often resolves symptoms of obesity-related sleep apnoea, arthritis and diabetes.
- You will have a reduced risk of heart attack, cardiovascular disease, heart failure or stroke.
- Cancer risk reduces too, with obesity now a significant risk factor for many cancers
- You may experience other health improvements. Infections heal more quickly and you’ll see the reduction in issues such as:
- Nerve defects
- Blindness and eye disease
- Kidney disease
- Infertility, Irregular Bleeding or Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
- High Cholesterol
You will enjoy a healthier, active and engaged lifestyle
- You’ll be able to move about easier, play sports, enjoy hobbies and social activities with friends
- Your body image, self-esteem and self-confidence will improve
- You may experience decreased depression and stress