The Ramsay Cardiac Rehabilitation program is delivered at nearby Donvale Rehabilitation Hospital. It is a multi-disciplinary program for people recovering from an acute cardiac episode (including heart attack, open heart surgery or angiplastic/stents) or who have a chronic cardiac disease such as heart failure.
The program is designed to assist you to resume an active and fulfilling life and to reduce the risk of further heart disease.
What is involved?
The multi-disciplinary program combines health education, exercise and support for participants in a small group environment.
The exercise sessions are tailored to your current level of activity and encourages a gradual increase in activity.
The comprehensive education sessions cover topics including:
- Risk factor and lifestyle changes
- Cardiac procedures and surgery
- Medications used to manage heart disease
- Healthy eating for heart health
- Depression and stress management
- Benefits and guidelines for activity and exercise
- Emergency plan and CPR training
- Making informed decisions
Partners or close friends are welcome to join the education sessions.
How long does it run for?
The cardiac rehabilitation program runs for up to 8 weeks. Participants attend for 2 hours twice weekly.
The Donvale Cardiac Rehabilitation Team
The team consists of:
- Rehabilitation specialist
- Cardiac rehabilitation nurse
- Exercise physiologist
- Occupational therapist
- Social worker